IEEE Bangalore Section, one of the most vibrant and dedicated professional organizations in Bangalore and Karnataka region, is looking forward to the upcoming events in June-Dec, 2018. The contributions towards various technical activities on behalf of IEEE Bangalore Section have increased with every passing year. The credit, undoubtedly, goes to the various technical societies, volunteers, student branches and section chapters.
This newsletter shares some of the key upcoming events for the period June-Dec 2018 and a short summary of the events between Jan-May 2018.
Key upcoming events in June-Dec 2018
- Workshop on IEEE Senior Membership, in cooperation with Texas Instruments, Bagmane Tech Park, Venue: Texas Instruments, Bagmane Tech Park, Bangalore, Date: 9th June, 2018, Saturday (10 am to 1 pm). For more, register: https://bit.ly/2jYCaFf
- Webinar on ‘Embedded Systems for Real-Time Tracking and IoT’ to be held on June 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM IST. Register here .
- IEEE India Council in association with IEEE 5G Initiative, IEEE Bangalore Section and IEEE ComSoc Bangalore Chapter is organizing a two-day ‘IEEE 5G Technology workshop’ on June 29-30, 2018 at Hotel Sterlings Mac, Bangalore. IEEE 5G Technology workshop is supported by Department of Telecommunication (DoT), Govt. of India and Telecom Standards Development Society of India (TSDSI). Shri. N Sivasailam, Special Secretary (T), DoT, GoI and Prof. Abhay Karandikar, Director, IIT Kanpur will inaugurate the workshop and deliver Keynote address. A detailed agenda can be found here: https://bit.ly/2JrHbBa
- IEEE Bangalore Section Young Professionals presents ‘Deep Learning Bootcamp’ for students, young professionals and startups keen on learning and implementing deep learning concepts for various real time applications. In this full-day boot camp, participants will learn the basics of deep learning along with training and deployment of neural networks. Learn the skill-set and toolbox one needs to build their own deep learning solutions through hands-on sessions. This Bootcamp will be conducted on 7th July, 2018 at B M S College of Engineering, Bangalore. Registration is free for IEEE members. Event Registration link: https://bit.ly/2HsnCXP
- IEEE Bangalore Section, in partnership with NASSCOM CoE IoT, IEEE Computer Society (Bangalore Section) and IEEE Power Engineering Society (Bangalore Section), is organizing the 5th edition of IEEE SmartTech from 3-4 August, 2018 at Hotel Sterling MAC, Bangalore. IEEE SmartTech is a flagship event of IEEE Bangalore Section. It is held annually as part of the Industry Relations program of the Section; where technology leaders, innovators, entrepreneurs, and thought provokers share their passion in addressing impactful problems, and vision on futuristic technologies that will/may disrupt/impact one’s way of working and living. The theme, for this edition of the workshop, is on ‘Digital Transformation with Cognitive Minds and Machines: The Future of Manufacturing and Mobility’; where technology practitioners will share their experiences on various Digital Technologies (such as Robotics, AI & Cognition, AR/VR/MR, ADAS, 5G, Blockchain, Flextronics and Additive Manufacturing, newer computing paradigms such as Nueromorphic, etc.), and discuss their transformative impact within the Manufacturing and Mobility domain. More details are available at: http://www.ieeesmarttech.com/
- IEEE Bangalore Section, as part of industry relations, has instituted a prestigious award for industry professionals in India; for excellence in electrical engineering technology, and allied fields of engineering and technology. The title of the award will be ‘IEEE Bangalore – Technologist of the Year 2018’, and will comprise of an exclusive plaque, medal, and a certificate. The objective of this award will be to recognize technical excellence with benefit to society in the field of electrical engineering, and related technical areas. The nominee should have been residing and working in India – at least – for the last 5 years. This award will recognize the outstanding individual contributions in industry. The awardee will be shortlisted by an eminent jury comprising of experts from the IEEE Bangalore Section. The award will be presented at IEEE SmartTech 2018. Please check the call-for-nominations link (http://ieeebangalore.org/2018/04/05/ieee-bangalore-section-industry-award-2018-call-for-nomination/); for further details on award guidelines, eligibility, nomination process, and nomination deadlines.
- IEEE Bangalore Section, as part of industry relations, is embarking on a new initiative to set up an ‘Industry Hub’ entity. As for the Industry partners, Industry Hubs will be instrumental in creating a more open ecosystem for championing technological initiatives with a much greater focus and impact to society at large; and will create an effective collaboration forum for industrial entities by expanding their touch points in various technology segments. Please check the information link (http://ieeebangalore.org/2018/05/10/call-for-proposals-on-industry-hub-new-initiative-from-ieee-bangalore-section/ ) for further details on the rules of operation and proposal submission deadline.
Key events, talks and workshops conducted between Jan-May 2018
- IEEE Bangalore Section flagship event conducted was IEEE CONECCT 2018 on 16 –17 March, 2018 at MSR Hotel and Spa, Bangalore (Earlier MovenPick), India. The topics covered included cyber-physical systems, Internet of Things, electron devices, computer science and big data, networking protocols and communication.
- ICAECC 2018 – Second International Conference on Advances in Electronics, Computers and Communications (Theme: Fostering Information Technology Through Electronics, Computers and Communications), was held during February 9-10, 2018 at School of ECE, REVA University. This conference was technically sponsored by IEEE Bangalore Section, IEEE ComSoc (IEEE Communications Society) Bangalore Section, IETE (Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering) and IEEE-CAS Society, Bangalore Chapter.
- Tech talk on ‘Linux Kernel Programming and Device Drivers’ held at NCET- 7th April, 2018. Organised by the NCET SB in association with IEEE sensors council Bangalore Chapter and headed by Mr. Radhakrishnan, (a senior corporate trainer and founder of Advanced Training and Research Labs, Bangalore) gave an insight into the concepts of Linux programming and demonstrated the techniques of programming.
- Another one by NCET on the 16th and 17th February, 2018 was a two-day workshop on ‘Object Oriented Programming’ as part of the course ‘Project Based Learning’. The workshop was organized for 6th semester students of CSE and ISE branches in association with Pthinks and Code Factory. The resource person for this workshop was Mr. Dheerendra Madhusuadan, Chief Technical Officer, Pthinks. The participants had a great takeaway as they were able to associate ‘object-oriented programming’ with real life.
- Yet another one by the NCET was a talk on ‘Smart Education’ organized by IEEE SSIT ES Joint Bangalore chapter on 17th March, 2018. Dr. Deepak Waikar, Managing Partner, EduEnergy Consultants, Singapore and visiting senior consultant, Tecstra solutions Pte Ltd, Singapore, was the resource person for this one. He briefed the students and faculty members present about Smart Projects, Smart professional level modules and Smart project-based internship in industries and communities. He stressed on the role of smart education in technical institutions. Dr. S. G. Gopala Krishna, Principal NCET and chair IEEE SSIT ES Joint Bangalore chapter also in attendance with Dr. Priyaranjan Mishra, former chair, IEEE SSIT ES Joint Bangalore chapter and Prof. B. Roopashri Tantri, Treasurer, IEEE SSIT ES Joint Bangalore chapter who graced the occasion with their honourable presence.
- Seminar on GaN Power Devices: Characteristics, Design Considerations and Applications was jointly organized by IEEE PELS and IEEE CAS Bangalore Chapter on January 18, 2018, at IISc, Bangalore, Department of Electrical Engineering. The invited speaker was Salil Chellappan (Systems Manager – Power Delivery, Industrial Systems, Texas Instruments).
- ‘Introduction to VLSI Design – An Industry Perspective’ was organized by Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, GSSS, Mysore, in association with IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Bangalore Chapter on 3 March 2018, at GSSS Institute of Engineering And Technology For Women, Mysore. Dr. C.P.Ravikumar (Texas Instruments, India) was the invited speaker.
- Panel Discussion on ‘How to effectively embed skill development into Educational Program so that the graduates are rendered industry ready?’ was conducted on 3 March, 2018 as a part of Cyberia’18, an IEEE Student conference (26 February to 4 March 2018). The event was organized by IEEE-SJCE, Mysuru at Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering. The panel was moderated by B. Ramkumar (former Tektronix) and others included Varun Shastri, Applied Materials; Dr. Narasimha Kaulgad, Professor NIE, Mysuru; Dr. Bindu Thomas, Professor VVIET; Arun Pradeep, CEO of Neutrinos Solutions; Ramesh Agrahar, Vice President Kaynes; Srikantaswamy Bisilavaadi; Robert Bosch, and C.P. Ravikumar, Hon. Sec, IEEE-CAS Bangalore and Director of Technical talent development, TI India.
- The WIE Bangalore sections has planned a series of events in 2018 keeping the Global theme of IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) which is one of the largest international professional organizations dedicated to promoting women in engineering and science. The first event with 2018’s New Slate of IEEE WiE was conducted under the objective of introducing all the WIE Chapters and networking titled ‘Parichaya 2018’ on 25th February, 2018 at JJ Auditorium, Central College Campus. It saw tech talks on ‘Information Security Awareness – keeping yourself and your family safe in a tech driven world’, by Divya M G, C-DAC, Bangalore and ‘IoT platform A Telecom Perspective’ by Soma Pandey, General Manager, Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, Bangalore.
- Inauguration of IEEE Computer Society Bangalore Section Chapter’s ‘Celebrating Computing’ Talk Series on 7th April, 2018, at PES University, Banashankari, Bangalore. The topics covered included Claude E Shannon and the birth of Digital Computing & Information Science, the changing trends in Computer Science and Analytics. The key speakers were Dr. Nithin Nagaraj, Assistant Professor – National Institute of Advanced Studies and Dr. Geetha Manjunath, CEO of Niramai Health Analytics.
Technical volunteering with IEEE Bangalore Section
IEEE Bangalore Section regularly organizes multiple events, conferences, workshops and hands-on learning sessions, technical talks across the year. In 2017 alone, about 800 major and minor events were organized by IEEE Bangalore Section and various IEEE societies and chapters across Karnataka.
The Society Chapters, Young Professionals and Women-In-Engineering (WIE) carried out focused activities in their respective areas by way of conducting technical talks under DLT, seminars, tutorials, workshops etc. Student Branches have been at the forefront for conducting various activities for benefit of its student members.
IEEE is always looking forward for organizing similar events and they are adding new initiatives, events and programs to meet the growing demand for learning and simultaneously address knowledge sharing in the new and rapidly emerging technical areas.
Anyone looking to volunteer, could do so in the following categories:
- Technical speaker in IEEE events/conferences (key notes, use cases, experiences, practitioner)
- Trainer for technology sessions, hands-on-trainings and workshops
- Mentoring specific projects (special interest groups, students)
- Mentoring for hackathons
- Judging hackathons and various competitions
- Participation in IEEE Bangalore Section Industry Hubs
- Participation in IEEE Standards groups
- Reference to IEEE Senior Grade Membership elevation
- Help in Project Proposal and design /concept verification
This is a great opportunity to expand one’s visibility as a technical expert and grow their professional network while sharing their knowledge and also learning along the way.
About IEEE Bangalore Section:
IEEE Bangalore was established in 1977 and is one of the most vibrant and dynamic Sections across Asia Pacific (IEEE Region 10) region. Over the years, the strength of the Section has grown steadily and currently the Section membership stands more than 7,200. This membership is spread across various sectors and is a nice blend of Industry, Academia and Research organizations. Section conducted 200+ Technical Activities in the year 2014, 480+ Technical Activities in the year 2015, 780+ Technical Activities in the year 2016 and 800+ in 2017, with the help of Student branches and society chapters.
Do subscribe to IEEE Newsletters to keep updated on the various technical events happening and regularly visit the website: http://ieeebangalore.org
IEEE Bangalore Section 2018 Executive Committee is detailed at: http://ieeebangalore.org/execom-2018/. Feel free to reach out to anyone of them to discuss any specific initiatives, requirements or assistance.
Any technical subject matter expert interested in volunteering, could fill the Technical Volunteer Participation form: http://bit.ly/2I6iZnL
For Technical help write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
IEEE Banaglore Section
SOURCE IEEE Bangalore Section